NewsLocal News


Dog killed after fire caused by heater destroys Spanish Fork home

Posted at 7:46 AM, Jan 05, 2024
and last updated 2024-01-08 16:13:26-05

SPANISH FORK, Utah — A fire in the garage that spread to the rest of a Spanish Fork home left a family displaced and a pet dead.

In an update given days after, officials reported the fire was caused by a radiant heater that was placed too close to a chair in the garage.

The fire happened just before midnight on Thursday in the area of 900 East 1240 South.


A man who lived in the home initially alerted authorities after noticing the bedroom lights "acting strange" and finding smoke in the garage, officials reported.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming out of the garage, with flames spreading through the attic and the rest of the home.

The two individuals who lived inside were able to evacuate safely, as well as one of their two dogs, who were in the garage when the fire sparked.

Sadly, the other dog died in the fire.

After extinguishing the blaze in about an hour, officials reported the home would be deemed a total loss.


Officials reported no firefighters were injured, although one was treated for exhaustion and released.

After the cause of the fire was determined, officials reminded residents to keep heaters away from couches, chairs, curtains and other objects that could catch fire.